100 Miler celebrates 10th year of endurance riding in the Swartland!
The tenth edition of the Amarider 100Miler, presented by Bike Hub will be held in Malmesbury on 19 May 2018. This one-day mountain bike ultra-marathon of 160km is affordable and a very special event to be a part of. From the humble beginnings in 2009 to what is now one of the ‘’must-do-events’’ on the mountain biking calendar. The scenery is beautiful in the Swartland during Autumn and the riding is not technical.
The 2017 winner Eric Kleinhans was also the first winner of the event 10 years ago in the most difficult conditions of strong winds & rain. Last year he raced at an average speed of 28.81 to finish in a record time of 5:33:16 in near perfect conditions.
To get the medal at the finish line is bucket list material!
Why the Amarider 100 Miler?
- It’s accessible. With the start and finish in Malmesbury you don’t have to bother with transport and you can drive to the start in the morning.
- Price. Shop around, this race offers great value and your entry fee includes on-route breakfast and lunch points.
- Support. Apart from a large race support contingent, your supporters can assist you at 4 easy to reach spectator points on the day. This makes it perfect for your family and friends to be part of the day and allows you to break your effort into achievable segments.
- Route. The route consists predominantly of flowing and fast-rolling dirt road. With 1920m of climbing over the day, it certainly is not flat but very few riders struggle to make the cut-off.
- The cause. Proceeds of the race go towards Amarider’s advocacy efforts and over the past years have made projects like the recent opening of new trails on Table Mountain possible.
For catering purposes and general planning there will ONLY be pre-entries available for the event and entries are limited. Riders can ride as solo competitors or form 4-person (non-relay) teams and enjoy a day out with mates in the saddle. The team results will be based on the 4th rider crossing the line thereby encouraging teamwork and camaraderie. Open and Mixed team trophies are awarded.
For the less daring, a shorter 50 Miler (80km) race option is available. It starts at the halfway mark at Riebeeck Kasteel and ends with the 100 Miler riders at the Malmesbury Showgrounds. There will be a shuttle available (at an extra fee) in the morning running from the finish to the start at Delico, Riebeeck Kasteel, but must be booked in advance. This event provides an opportunity for riders keen to get a taste of endurance riding and experience the 2nd half of the 100 Miler route option.
The event will use the Amarider Trail Tag system and riders will tag in and out at various check points along the route. Trail Tags are compulsory, and riders must either rent or buy one. Another great aspect of this event is that the Trail Tag system offers live timing and riders can check results on www.trailtag.co.za upon finishing. Are you ready to test your mountain bike fitness levels on this challenging endurance event?
The finish area has a social vibe and offers stalls with great food & drinks so stick around for a beer afterwards, you’ll deserve it after completing this tough race. Only pre-entries are accepted at: www.amarider100miler.co.za
For further information email or or call 021 884 4752